What’s it like to live in Hampton Roads?
At Sentara Norfolk General Hospital, we understand that it’s not just about your career. It’s also about your lifestyle.
Hampton Roads is located in southeastern Virginia and is home to over 1.6 million people. This thriving economic region includes the communities of Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Chesapeake, Portsmouth, Suffolk, Hampton, Newport News and Williamsburg.
Close to the Beach
We love to be outdoors soaking up the sun along 29 miles of Atlantic Ocean beaches or on the Chesapeake Bay, exploring lush waterways and hiking around state parks. We’re also a short drive to visit the beaches of the Outer Banks in North Carolina.
Hampton Roads includes a number of waterfront communities, lively downtown areas and some of today’s best neighborhoods. The region, also known as Tidewater, offers residents flexible options for a variety of lifestyles. From city to country living, our area offers a variety of communities to help you find what you’re looking for!
Sentara Norfolk General Hospital also offers an unlimited Hampton Roads Transportation pass for employees who are willing to forego a garage parking space. This pass can be used on the bus or light rail at any time to travel around the area.
Aside from our close location to the beach, our team enjoys a number of other local attractions. Check out a few of our favorite activities below.
- Harbor activities: Enjoy dinner and dancing on the Spirit of Norfolk or sail through the Elizabeth River on board the American Rover in Downtown Norfolk.
- Water sports: Kayak through the numerous local waterways or jet ski and parasail at the oceanfront.
- Local sports: Catch a basketball game at the Ted Constant Convocation Center or cheer on the Norfolk Tides at Harbor Park Stadium.
- Event venues: Check out the Norfolk Scope, Chrysler Hall or jam to your favorite music at the Virginia Beach Amphitheater, Portsmouth Pavilion and Hampton Coliseum.
- Amusement parks: Make a splash at the Ocean Breeze Waterpark or Water Country USA and take the thrill ride of a life time on a roller coaster at Busch Gardens.
- Shopping: Stroll through our many local malls including the MacArthur Center, Town Centers in Virginia Beach, Chesapeake, Hampton and Newport News or shop until you drop at the Premium Outlets in Williamsburg.
- Other local attractions: Explore Norfolk’s new Waterfront District, visit the Norfolk Botanical Gardens, take a walk through the past visiting Colonial Williamsburg, catch a festival at Town Point Park or learn something new at one of our local universities (including the Sentara College of Health Sciences).